Monday, May 16, 2011

J-School: A Good Investment or A Bad Decision


When I started college, I was sure I wanted to go to graduate school. I figured college would be a breeze and I'd have the time of my life. During freshman year, I decided to take some advice from a advisor and pick up some classes I had no interest in. One class proved to be difficult than it appeared and the other was a grueling three hours long. Wide-eyed and fresh out of high school, I decided to stop going to these classes consistently. I figured I'd just do the work and get by. I was wrong and my transcript reflected my error in judgement.

Almost three years later, I am still paying for my freshman year mistake. My resume is growing but my GPA remains average. I'm not failing but I'm not excelling either. Consequently, my views on attending graduate school have changed. Frankly, I don't see anyone admitting me into their graduate program. I would love to go enroll into a journalism program that will give me resources my undergrad program doesn't give but I don't see that happening. I'm at a crossroads. 

I have a few ideas swirling around in my mind but they aren't concrete. I'm about a year outside of my graduation and the fact that I'm at a loss about what I will do afterwards scares me. 

I was apprehensive about writing this post but I hope my transparency will help someone else.

What do you think? Should I go for grad school or are there other options that I haven't explored?

1 comment:

  1. You should apply for grad school. I mean what's the worst that could happen? I'm in the same boat as you! I just graduated with my degree in journalism and my GPA is okay, but not the type where people would be accepting me left and right but honestly what do I have to lose? I always knew I wanted to go to grad school but not right away so I'll apply and we'll see what happens but for right now I'm trying to get my foot in the door with a job.

    ReplyDelete