Thursday, June 2, 2011

Show and Tell: Portfolio v. Wix


I started writing for the Signal, my university's newspaper, two years ago and I have saved almost every issue for clips. As the convention approaches, I have been thinking about the medium I want to use to show my work. Traditionally, print journalists have used portfolios to showcase their work. These portfolios are usually simple black folders with plastic coverings that hold clippings of the writer's articles.

Nowadays, journalists of every medium and career level have started to use web hosts like Wix to create digital portfolios. Unlike the traditional portfolios, these websites include more than a resume and a few clips. I have seen digital portfolios with detailed biographies, videos, online clips, scans of print clips and blogs. I am eager to make a digital portfolio but I am trying to figure out how I would be able to showcase my work without having to whip out and carry around my heavy laptop. 

I was thinking of making a mini portfolio with a few of my clips and printing labels with a link on them to place on the back of my business cards. That is what I have so far and as usual, I would love some feed back.

If you have any ideas, leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment